Monday, November 12, 2007

Making An Impression...

A few days ago I wrote about my experiences talking with middle school kids about writing. Another question kids always asked is: Where do I get ideas for stories?

I had to admit I'm an eavesdropper. I love to sit in coffeehouses, restaurants, on park benches and watch people. I shared that I always carry a notebook and pen so I can write down my observations...the way someone uses his hands—pounding fist against open palm when making a point, or the coy shrug of one shoulder.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from one of the teachers whose class I visited last week. She wrote how several of her students have taken to carrying notebooks and jotting down their observations.

Learning that I made a positive impression on those kids was truly the high point of my day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rita,
    That's great. I have three daughters (9, 5 & 1) and ever since I started taking the two oldest with me to my book signings, they each carry notebooks to jot down things. Pretty cool!

    Peace,
    Sybil Barkley-Staples
    Author, Candy for My Soul and She'll Learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sybil,
    Isn't it great to see kids interested in writing? I just love it. I was at a book signing a few weeks ago and this young girl kept coming back around to talk with me about writing. It made my day.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete